Productivity Improvements: Top Risk for 2014-15
According to EY's Mining Survey, the top risk category for 2014-2015 is productivity improvements.
"A well-designed performance measurement program goes far beyond metrics. It aligns operations activities with business objectives and shapes beneficial behavior of employees as well as suppliers and business partners."
- MESA International, Pursuit of Performance Excellence (2012)
It's been repeatedly shown: An integrated data foundation adds to the bottom line
In 2012, MESA International studied performance excellence, business movers over others were twice as likely to:
- have fully automated data collection for customer, quality, efficiency and inventory metric over others
- provide visibility and analysis to line-level metrics to allow immediate corrections Users of Manufacturing Operations Management (MOM) systems were twice as likely to achieve at least 10% improvement for
- cash-to-cash cycle time, and
- average unit contribution margin
This study echoed similar findings on Global Manufacturing Operations Management done by Aberdeen Group in 2008.
How can you decrease your risk and improve productivity?
Understand the three essential components to a strong data foundation:
Re-examine your current data practices
Empower personnel to drive results
all the data into a trustable, reliable system
You have to trust the data you bring into your system. Regulators demand it and your bottom line might not improve without it.
We are talking not just about data itself, but:
- how you structure data within areas and sites to create a common vocabulary for operators, engineers, managers, and planners to truly collaborate.
- how it can scale to be implemented across processing area, sites, and the global enterprise.
Learn more about the technical features of a strategic data management foundation for operations data.
standardized digital data and structure digital assets and operations into models
Enable effective collaboration across different equipment, process areas, and sites:
- Standardize: design the digital plant according to your organizations processes and culture
- Model any continuous improvement methodology for
- Learn and report through basic calculations and visualization to derive performance metrics, trends, reports, and KPI's to drive continuous improvement goals and initiatives for the plant and site.
Learn more about what Anglo American Copper did.
other key data sources
Increase the value of the infrastructure with data integration. Complete the enterprise model incorporating data from ERP, Scheduling and Maintenance, LIMS, Supply Chain Management, and Analytics Platforms (BI, Big Data and Advanced Visualization) to drive performance-based corporate initiatives.
Alcoa's award-winning SMART manufacturing initiative has enabled:
- Getting workers to solve problems, not looking for data
- Deep collaboration within departments and between sites